Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Favorite books...




I thought I'd share with everyone one of my first books I received - Mother Goose Book of Rhymes, illustrated by Janet & Anne Grahame Johnstone, 1977 edition. I have no idea when it was originally published, or how old the illustrations actually are. (Note my name that I wrote on the cover when I was little.) I love the illustrations in this book - yes, they're a bit dated in some ways, but the colors and the style are still so beautiful. Some of the old men figures and weird animals are creepy, but there is a certain charm to them. This book is how I learned many of Mother Goose's nursery rhymes and is one of those books that I'll keep forever.


3 comments:

  1. Very cute Mother Goose illustrations Vita! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these illustrations - especially the graceful athletic-looking cow! (Mine always look fat and lazy - LOL.) Thanks for posting these. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little girl on the cover is wearing a jumper and blouse similar to one I had growing up--even her hairstyle looks very 70's. When illustrators use trendy fashion, it does seem to place the work in a time period. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. We illustrators love retro!

    The Winken, Blinken, and Nod page is magical. I love your signature on the front cover!

    ReplyDelete