Monday, June 7, 2010

Painting on Wood and Recycled Pouch



I have been experimenting with painting on wood. It takes some getting used to.

The octopus is my latest little painting. On the right is a piece of bristol where I test out colors. On the left is some inspiration--a cool little zippered pouch made by Blue Q of 95% recycled material. I bought it this weekend at Blick. A little research and I found that the artwork of illustrator Colin Johnson was used. Ironically, he works on wood! The art on this pouch, in fact, was from a mixed media piece done on wood. I don't know how the art was printed onto the "recycled woven materials" or what the woven materials are exactly or what the shiny coating is. I would really like to know, though. Anyone know?

Here is a detail.:


I love it!
My painting on the other hand...well I still need to figure out this painting-on-wood thing. Next time I know I need to sand it smooth (thanks, Matte!).
We'll see where this goes. In the meantime, I'll be on the lookout for more inspiration. Join me?

3 comments:

  1. Yes. Do keep us posted! I'm VERY curious. Interesting that you used something for inspiration that is so different from your style. Was it for color inspiration? I love your happy little octopus! I'm also interested in exactly why you are painting on wood. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! (And very cool pouch!!) It's so exciting to see you branching out and experimenting Ann Marie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Marion and Michelle!

    Michelle - I'll bring the pouch next time we meet so you can see it...maybe the painting, too..haha!

    Marion - I was inspired by the color and the way he collaged elements together. Painting on wood is something I have wanted to try since seeing the work of Matte Stephens and Susie Ghahremani at Nahcotta Gallery in Portsmouth, NH. They both paint in gouache on wood. I thought it would be cool to be able to hang pieces without having to cover them in glass. Also, our group is having an exhibit this July and I thought it would be a good time to try this.

    ReplyDelete