Monday, June 6, 2011

Painted Sketch


In the past I used to think of painting as "final." To map out ideas, sketch, doodle, or draw I would normally use a pencil, sometimes pen, sometimes crayon. Rarely would I use a brush. Until lately. Now I think about sketching in paint. It's quite liberating, really. I get to play around with color and line and form. Ideas happen that can be carried into "final" work.
I highly recommend this time for playing and experimenting. It usually helps me move through creative blocks. I often wonder if others do this too and how often? If not, how do you get through times when you feel stuck?

2 comments:

  1. First let me say I love your header and style. Those painted sketches are wonderful too, I need to try that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen! Let me know if you try this and how it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete