Monday, November 8, 2010

Theater As A Book





Hi All
I thought I'd share what I've been illustrating lately-stage sets!
For the past few years, I've been in charge of scenic design and painting for
Bedford High theater. This year, BHS produced Thoroughly Modern Millie.
I had help from volunteer friends who helped fill in, so that helped with the work load and lessened the stress level the comes with tight deadlines. The play was great and the kids did a terrific job!
As I was watching the show, I couldn't help comparing designing and painting for
theater to the task of illustrating a book.
The actors moving through my designs onstage are like my characters in a book with the illustrated environments I give them.
The attention we pay, as illustrators, to drama, color, lighting, pacing and page turns in a book also apply to designing and painting environments for actors in order to transition smoothly from scene to scene.
Since I was too busy drawing and painting to take pictures, I'm grateful that Zack Uliasz, one of the young male leads in the play, was kind enough to snap a few. Thank you, Zack. Hope you all enjoy them. Happy illustrating!
-Angela Lucido

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! I like that art noveau hair tonic image and the shop front!! With all the work, I hope you get someone to take more pictures next time. It's worth documenting. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, you're the first scenic I've "met" in NH! I was the Assistant Scenic Charge at the North Shore Music Theater in Beverly, MA for two years (plus a bit more as an intern), and was charge artist for children's shows. Check out some of the stuff I did: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahlynndesignstudio/sets/72157600008088006/. These are great! I'd love to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete