Friday, February 5, 2010

Monster Softies

Starting Monday, I will be working with first graders for three weeks as a visiting artist. I was asked to come up with a 3D felt project which can be displayed in an upcoming school art show.

I originally had my heart set on stuffed monsters, but I was concerned about construction. I wanted to sew them, but it just wasn't going to work with this age group and this fabric.

Reluctantly, I started gluing shapes together. I really didn't want to use glue, but it is something first graders can do with minimal adult intervention. And the important thing is that they create with some abandon.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that gluing was not so terrible. I had fun creating these 3D wild things! I'm hoping the kids will, too.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Ann Marie, my kids would L-O-V-E, LOOOOOVVVEEE this project! Wow! They turned out soooo cute! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    (Do you have easy instructions ... maybe I can try to make these with my kids).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michelle! I think your girls would have fun with these! I still have a bit more planning and preparation and will be writing up more detailed lesson plans. It would make a great school vacation project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want them!! I hope you post pics of the kids work when they're done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a project kids will love! Imagine you'll have fun with all those little first graders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Your little monsters characters are adorable! The kids will have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! Yes, Vita, I'm planning to post pictures of students' work. Will keep you...posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these - I imagine the kids will too! Awesome stuff Ann Marie, you should use glue and felt more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnnMarie-these monsters ARE GREAT! Love them- they make me laugh just looking at them. Have you ever thought of doing a book of your projects you design for kids?:)

    ReplyDelete