Monday, February 1, 2010

Unfinished Paintings

Since I've gone back to school for degree #2, my art table has turned into The Land of Unfinished Paintings. Each time a new semester begins, I have to drop everything and once again turn all my attention to homework. Working, commuting, and going to school isn't easy. Add in trying to keep up with your personal work, and it's nearly impossible. Something's got to give - and it's always my illustration work. At this point, I have almost as many pieces started than I do finished. However, I figured I'd show you my most recent beginning:
I began this painting as a sample work to send to an online publisher of children's books. They were looking for the three little pigs with specific colors, numbers, and items that children could count on the page. Obviously this is unfinished, but there was to be corn, flowers, and clouds to count, and two chickens holding up signs that say things like, "We'll miss you!" and "Good luck!" as the pigs start out on their journey.
I have a little fantasy that the minute I get my degree, all of the lost and unfinished paintings on my desk will be properly attended to, and I'll have all these finished pieces to show and feel good about having completed. (In reality, I'll probably just need a nap and a vacation. Oh well. Here's to promising starts, anyway.)

6 comments:

  1. Either these can be finished or you can move on to new pieces to finish. As you grow as an artist over time you may have fresh ideas. BTW -starting is always better than not starting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann Marie - with me, the only time anything ever is finished is when I have a deadline! If I do a project for myself, it will stay in limbo potentially until the end of time. Lol. I guess starting is better than nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm exactly the same way...I thrive with deadlines, but left to my own devices, things wallow in unfinished land. I figure as long as I keep wanting to come back to that table and at least try to finish things, it's better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, I think it's great that your showing your unfinished work. I think we all have life intrude on us ... and there's nothing wrong starting something with the hope of eventually finishing it. If you finish it - that's wonderful, if not, you still have enjoyed the process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's awesome that you've got a hand in illustration even when you're clearly so busy with other things. I've been there before, and am in it again in a different way now. Starting is definitely better than nothing, but I know how itchy I get with unfinished paintings. You'll get there! Bit by bit. And by all means take a break for yourself first.

    ReplyDelete