Monday, February 8, 2010

Coloring Together

Motherhood has been full of awesome firsts lately - and coloring with my now 1 year old son has be near the top of the list. I hadn't picked up an actual crayon for awhile. Knowing that I was showing him something for the first time gave me freedom to play, and make marks and forms unlike how I would if I was 'really' drawing. He started with hard little stabs at the paper, then wide single strokes, followed by zig zags. We're only at the beginning but it's been fun.I know I can avoid drawing because I'm afraid of drawing something bad, or wrong, or not quite what I had in my head. But put a child in front of me (of any age, I've always been the Auntie to color with!) and there's no place for ego or pausing to check google images for duck references. I might not make much time for 'real' art lately, but every day we make time for something better together. When I finally sit down at the drawing board (by myself), I think all of this will inform my work.
Oh, and the drawing above? That's what a giggle looks like. Wrap your arm around baby's belly, hold several crayons and scribble like mad. You'll see what I mean.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! This post made me feel happy--I did this with my kids when they were little! I love all these sweet little images--that baby on the horse is a-w-e-s-o-m-e!! I also enjoy the layering of sketches and baby marks. Thanks for sharing these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a happy post! In fact, I found myself giggling! :) I love drawing with my girls! I remember sitting at our coffee table when Eden was a wee one, and listening to her weave her story around the pictures she drew. It is such a happy memory! Thanks for sharing these wonderful drawings!

    ReplyDelete