Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Marla Frazee

As Gina mentioned a few posts ago, the NE SCBWI Conference is fast approaching. I can barely contain my excitement because Marla Frazee will be there this year!

Marla, [I call her Marla because, although we've never met, in my mind I feel like I've known her for a very long time ... it might have something to do with the extensive library of her books we have laying all over the house! I hope she doesn't mind] ANYWAY, Marla is an amazing illustrator who has an uncanny ability to capture gesture and expression with very simple lines. If you're not familiar with her work, get ye to a library or a bookstore now! I mean it... NOW!

I am so fortunate to be able to take a workshop with her at this year's NE-SCBWI conference! Perhaps a nano of her talent will transfer to me via osmosis! Keep your fingers crossed! :) These are some examples of her work (tell me she isn't amazing!) from Sara Pennypacker's Clementine (February 2008), Mary Ann Hoberman's The Seven Silly Eaters (February 1997), and Hush, Little Baby (August 1999).



I mean, seriously, take a look at the way she captures the gestures. Amazing!


It's not just in the facial expressions ... it's the body! She captures the moods of these characters soooo well!
Look at the way Clementine is up on her tip-toes.

I love this one! I know my girls have come home from school in this melodramatic way from time to time!

Clementine is so full of personality!

OK, lest you think I'm some kind of Marla Frazee stalker, I'll stop my raving here. But just in case there was any question ... this conference is going to be a good one! :)

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're excited about the conference, Michelle! Yes, Marla's character's are quite expressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Michelle! I'll admit that while I recognize some of these books, I really didn't have Marla Frazee on my radar. I'm glad you enlightened me, even though I'll miss her on that Saturday. My library list just keeps getting bigger and bigger!!!!

    ReplyDelete