Friday, March 12, 2010

Smells Like... Avocado?

I have an opportunity to submit work for a great show, with a food theme. I might not really get to creating the art in time, but I was inspired to sketch and think outside my usual materials. I pictured painting gouache on a wood panel, something I've always wanted to try. I'd like to keep exploring avocados, and that aspect where you cut them in half and one side has the seed/nut, and the other is empty.

Speaking of great shows, I'm excited to head down to Ipswich, MA for a Children's Illustration show at Wavepaint Gallery. Wow - look at this lineup: Mary Jane Begin, Pat Lowery Collins, Ed Emberley, Jamie Harper, Jarrett Krosoczka, Julia Purinton, and Andy J. Smith How could you not go check this out if you're in the area?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Gina! That is something I have wanted to try also--gouache on wood. I was inspired by Matte Stephens. I hope you get to trying it out in time for the show.
    Love the avocado character!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Jane Begin was my Senior Portfolio teacher and Jarrett Krosoczka graduated the year before me in my department. Small world.
    Love your little avacado, by the way! (o:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun! I really love your sketches Gina! hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the plug! There's some nice work in the show. Crazy about Jamie Harper's work... come one, come all!

    ReplyDelete