Friday, May 21, 2010

NESCBWI Conference: Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen

The above book, Hog Prince, is written by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen. I attended a 2hr workshop at the NESCBWI Conference last weekend. It really capped off the day as one of the most informative and useful in many conferences past.
Sudipta's writing workshop was entitled "The Picture Book Deconstructed". She gave copious amounts of advice regarding structure and content. She also shared participant manuscripts and led a group critique, pointing out what I would guess are the more frequent 'mistakes' writers make with picture books.
While I wouldn't share any of her specific advice, I can point you to her website where she shares a few gems. I would also highly recommend attending any workshop she teaches near you. I took her advice and applied it directly to my current manuscript. Hopefully, I'll come out the other side with a stronger, more marketable story. I'm a total novice writer but felt completely comfortable with Sudipta. Her story is pretty amazing, and I really loved her attitude about treating work as work rather than a hobby.
I've been blogging about the conference this week - if you'd like to read more, please visit my other blogs: Picture Book Junkies and The Pineapple Diary

No comments:

Post a Comment